A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Readers' letters

We always appreciate feedback - and we'll attempt to reply to all your letters. ;-)

From XXXXXXX@wXXkersliberty.XXX

> Pickles,
>
> I just read your blog. Don't you think it's a bit sad that you devote a
> large part of your life to attacking "Trots" - to the extent of
> celebrating Trotsky's murder by a Stalinist assassin! - but are not only
> too afraid to debate us, but too afraid to even email to tell us you
> won't.
>
> Vicious whispering campaigns and performing for your mates is so much
> easier than actually squaring up, isn't it?
>
> XXXXX

& My reply:


Hi XXXX,

I've been a bit busy what with finals and so on, so I haven't responded to you. I would, as I told you in my previous email, be delighted to debate you or one of your Comrades. I've raised the possibility of holding such a debate with next term's Labour Club co-chairs and I believe they are considering it. I will let you know their response.

As I mentioned on my blog the timing you suggested was not ideal and I would prefer later in term, maybe 7th or 8th week since both finals and the local elections are my priorities (and in the case of the latter the club's too).

A slightly archaic debate about marxism has never been something to thrill regular members of the club in the run up to exciting local elections- even though me and you might like nothing better. I think [The outgoing Labour Club Chair] would agree that for the minority who do find that fascinating, this term just gone has given them ample to chew over in the coming weeks.

As regards my blog you have prompted me to undertake a little statistical exercise (I've counted my blog posts) and work out what subject areas I have covered. This is more for my amusement than anything else but I may post it on there.

For your information I have posted 24 times thus far.

Subjects covered include:

Blogging - 2 post
My Cat - 1 post
David Cameron and the Conservative Party - 5 posts
Dick Cheney - 2 posts
The Liberal Democrats (including Liverpool City Council) - 2 posts
The Alliance for Workers Liberty (including invite to a debate and their silly
website) - 2 posts
John Prescott - 1 post
Jewishness- 1 post
Freedom of Speech (Cartoons) - 1 post
Comedy mis-types - 2 posts
Music/pop - 1 post
Journalists/Student Tuition fees -1 post
Oxford University Labour Club elections - 1 post
Alan Woods/meeting my first real Militant - 1 post
Top 5 Least Favourite Trotskyists (in response to a discussion started by
readers of another post) - 1 post

Of these 24, Trotskyists are mentioned in 4 posts as the main subject matter and 1 in passing. In 4 out of those 5 cases this was because I was reporting on my activities in the Labour Club where I have been spending some of my evenings away from revision. This is barely 1 in 6 posts.

I don't see this as disproportionate. In the past few weeks I have met a Trotskyist for every post of my blog about Trotskyists. In that time I have met very few Tories, not counting the several I will have met in libraries or on the bus and so on without knowing. But yet I have posted more about them both in terms of number of posts and in terms of content. That is because they are the real enemy here.

If you don't want me to talk about Trotskyists, to the extent that I do, then tell your Trotskyist friends to stop trying to infiltrate my Labour Club.

In the meantime you will be delighted to know that the club is in good hands over coming terms. I am assured that an inclusive, campaigning freshers drive with lots of social and other activities to keep bringing new young people into the Labour Party and making them feel welcome is in preparation as we speak.

I for one am delighted that our club is in for a good couple of terms and I'm sure you'll join me in wishing them luck. I know that [The outgoing Labour Club Chair] hasn't yet found the time to do so - but I'm sure that's just worry over [His girl friend's] election tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pickles

P.S. As regards vicious whispering campaigns I have no idea what you mean. I would be interested in hearing more - but as I suspect this is another one of your vicious whispering campaigns then I suspect you won't be telling me.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Instead of you and Mr.AWL continuing this e-mail argument why don't you just set a date for a debate next term? The Co-Chairs should be persuaded to host it. It could be presented Union-style...e.g "This Club has no faith in the Labour Party leadership", or "This Club believes that the working-class love a bit of Marxist-Leninism", or something similar. You can take all your steam out on each other then

     
  • At 1:15 pm, Blogger Pickles said…

    I have offered to do this - but as I have finals next term the dates are a bit restricted. This appears to have upset mr AWL.

     
  • At 3:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is understandable: after all, finals are a bourgeois concept.

     
  • At 12:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You don't speak for me. I say less Trotskyism, more field bryology.

     
  • At 1:42 pm, Blogger Pickles said…

    I think I speak for everyone in expressing my surprise at the inability of a PhD (pending) Field Biologist to spell Field Biology.

    If I don't speak for everyone in that I speak for everyone in asking the obvious alternative question - "What is field Bryology"? and would it make an interesting blog?

     
  • At 5:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, Pickles, methinks that maybe Tim wasn't a victim of mis-typing. Maybe.

    A quick google/wikipedia search reveals the following:

    Bryology, the study of bryophytes

    and from Wikipedia:

    Bryophytes are embryophyte plants ('land plants') that are nevertheless non-vascular: they have tissues and enclosed reproductive systems, but they lack vascular tissue that circulates liquids. They neither flower nor produce seeds, reproducing via spores.

    I have no idea what any of that means, but I'm guessing that Tim does?!?!

     
  • At 1:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Field Bryology would make a fascinating subject for a blog. Mosses for Labour, perhaps, like Scientists for Labour.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits