A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

The future's bright

Just a quick congratulations to all of the Labour Club people who got elected at the OULC termly general meeting on Thursday. I popped along to add my vote to the many who turned out to get the club out of the doldrums of this term.

A turnout of over 80 was the highest of the millenium - and all the right candidates won the big positions, with Emily and simon setting themselves up for a fantastic freshers term in charge.

The incoming team is probably one of the most talented and dynamic in years - and the most politically right-on too. But the defeated candidates in most of the elections were also assets to the club - if only some of the outgoing executive would let them alone to find their own way. (the same goes some of the old lefties who've been making life difficult for genuine hard-working sensible Labour people since I was around first time...)

All in, my old Alma Mater has a bright Labour future. Which has given me a nice cheerful end to the term - and means I can look back with smug satisfaction whilst I continue my lonely struggle with the libraries of Oxford.

Let's hope most of those people can be out on doorsteps in the coming weeks to give the Lib Dems a good whooping, like the immature left got a whooping on Thursday. A fair and friendly election internally is the kind of bracing introduction to election season the club needed.

It's now time to unite & fight. ;-) Good luck to all.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd remind you that the second half of the "The future's bright" is "the future's orange". Orange is the Liberal Democrat colour. And if you go round packing any more elections to get your girlfriend elected over the heads of the activists who have worked hardest for the local party, the future for the city of Oxford will be very orange. Just a thought. : )

     
  • At 2:20 am, Blogger Pickles said…

    I have never been so angry about a single comment, so worried for the future of the party I love, so depressed about the human condition as when I read this comment.

    I'm sorry. I really don't know who you are, but you don't belong in any progressive party I could ever concieve of. Please don't ever post on my blog again and don't ever identify yourself to me.

    You are lower than vermin.

     
  • At 3:23 am, Blogger Pickles said…

    Actually reading this you're raising a number of substantive points all of which are based on ignorance and a level of basic stupidity which necessitate a full post to respond to - I will do this tomorrow. In tomorrow's post I will outline the following

    1. Why my political perspective and that of my girlfriend should be treated seperately (based loosely on the notion that women have a mind of their own and somehow are able to form their own opinions about things...shock horror)

    2. Why I would never support anyone purely on the basis that I had a relationship with them - I care too much about youth politics in this country (having devoted most of the last 6 years to the furtherment of that agenda) to sacrifice that commitment to anything.

    3. Why in electing the people they did the Labour Club last thursday gave itself the best chance of growth and survival it has had in nearly a decade

    4. Why the vast majority of active Labour Club members voted for the winning candidates in that election and why that indicates the central premise of your post is at best deluded and at worst disingenuous

    5. Why a victory for Emily and Simon in that election is not only good for those who believe in Labour values in Oxford but why if they'd have lost the cause of Labour in Oxford would have been lost for a generation (by accepting the scandal that was this term as not just an aberation but the standard by which everyone would be judged) and a vote for the "alternative" would have been tantamount to a vote for the Liberal Democrats in 2009/10.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits