A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Another babyshambles

I know that to some extent this is old news and I know I've already posted on the baby issue, but I though I'd mention this amusing little thing wot I noticed.

David Cameron (or rather one his spin doctors - not that he's not perfectly capable of being his own spin doctor) told the world that he heard by text message whilst in a shadow cabinet meeting that his wife had gone in to Labour:

here's ITN's report at the time which faithfully repeats this heart warming story of a modern young family.

However, my mum (who as a mum is clearly a bit more knowledgeable about these matters than I am) having heard the text message story was a little surprised when she came to visit yesterday when I mentioned this (from the same PA story which mentioned Cameron's bizarre casual dress numerous shopping trips before lunchtime, which presumably coincided with the arrival of different tv cameras outside):

"He ... was delivered by Caesarean section, since Mrs Cameron suffered difficulties when she gave birth to her first child...."

As she pointed out indignantly, when one has a caesarian birth it is usually before the mother goes into labour - especially when it is a planned caesarian for pre-existing medical reasons. In such circumstances of course there would be very little need for David Cameron to be notified by text message that his wife had gone into labour - not least because she never would have done so, and secondly because he would have known a few days in advance of the planned operation.

Of course I'm not saying the nation's favourite spinning chameleon might have had the whole thing "embellished" a little bit to accentuate the modern, compassionate side to his character. But well, it does seem a little odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits