A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Alan Woods bottles it...

Rumour has it that Alan Woods of Marxism.com has pulled out of coming along to the Labour Club tomorrow.

That's such a shame. I was very much looking forward to meeting my very first real, proper "Militant". Or almost my first. I've met a fair few ex-Millies in Liverpool over the years but never someone who actually came out and admitted it. Until Friday, post John Smith Memorial Dinner (cheers to Jo for the pictures).

Post-dinner we all decamped to Escape bar (so-named I believe for the yearning it induces in those who enter) . Whilst I attempted to get a round of drinks in a woman called Emma who had been at the dinner, and who seemed to be spoiling for a row after rather too much port, accosted me.

My memory of the "debate" is a bit fuzzy but I do remember it really kicked off when I wholeheartedly agreed with an OULC comrade of ours that revolutionary Marxists had no place in our Party or our Labour Club.

She seemed outraged by this arguing (with staggering audacity): "Well I'm a member of Militant - do you think I belong in the club?"

What really shocked me was that she was surprised by my reaction. What shocked me even more was when she emailed me the next day to apologise for her behaviour.

I didn't tell her what my blog was called. But I'm pleased to have got certain things off my chest - especially now that I know that Alan Woods has bottled it.

P.S. And she's from Sheffield - and argued that the city of Blunkett & co was an example of exactly how things go badly when you don't have a militant-run council. Words fail me.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If anyone argues that point about Sheffield, just explain that the Sheffield people punished Labour for bankrupting the Council by replacing us with the Lib Dems who governed like Tories. Is this not just slightly reminiscent of Militant Liverpool? Thankfully we have sensible Labour back in the helm now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits