A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Wine report, Chomsky can F**k off & A Date for your diary

Have Opened a bottle of the "McGuigan's Estate" Chardonnay I recommended further down this board and am presently sipping gently on a glass of it as a reward for having read Chomsky, Mackie & Bennett waffling on about the innateness of our ideas & language blah-di-whatever until three clock in the sodding morning. This is my first read-til-your-eyes bleed night but, sadly this will not be the last. The exams start on Thursday.

For those of you in Oxford (and judging by Tracksy that's about 60% of you, although how many of those are actually just Steven Longden checking in every 5 minutes from different computers in the Social Sciences Library is something I'm yet to work out) or those of you who, like me, can't quite beleive I'm actually going to be finishing finals and just want to be there to witness the momentous occasion here are the details:

I will be leaving the "exam schools" (Old building, Oxford, where the exams are, trots occupy them occasionally in protest at things) at 1730 hours on Tuesday, June the 6th.

It is traditional in Oxford to be met out of your exams by a posse of people who give you nice things like:

1. Alcoholic drinks
2. Hugs
3. Banter
4. Encouraging noises about how a 3rd isn't the end of the world
5. A hand shake.
6. Flowers

And who absolutely do not THROW ANYTHING AT YOU AT ALL NOT EVEN CONFETTI.

The wine, by the way, is not as amazing as I remembered it. (I did though first drink it having an enchanting night in with the beloved watching Blues Brothers. I can't believe I'd never seen it and it's now one of my favourited ever films. Especially the car chase at the end. So that's probably why I remember it so fondly.) But nevertheless it's a really reliable Chardonnay which does exactly what it says on the tin. And you can't say fairer than that for less than £4.

Get your paws on it if you can. Here's to more nights in front of Blues Brothers - when these sodding exams are out of the way. Hi Ho, Hi Ho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits