A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Friday, November 03, 2006

House warming

As part of the long drawn out process of moving in we are going to have a house warming.

When I lived with friends in Brockley, which was the last time I actually (jointly-) hosted a party I was most definately third in line as party organiser and had little to do with the nuts and bolts of any of our gatherings.

That was also years ago. I can safely say that the last time I organised any kind of house party was many years ago, when I was in my mid/late teens at home. I think I got away with it - my mum probably knew but we never actually broke anything massive.

But things are a lot simpler when you're a teenager at home. You have one lot of mates, you invite them. They've got nothing better to do (it's your house party or sipping cider in the park after all) so they all turn up. Sorted. You're not even expected to cater or provide any booze - they just turn up with their cheap ropey tipple of choice. And, being teenagers they are all sheep and like exactly the same things, right down to a particular method of tying their shoelaces.

When you've had two different stints at uni, two jobs and have moved away from home a long time ago, it all gets a lot more complicated. As do the arrangements. The age range of the people I will be inviting is in excess of 10 years difference, probably closer to 15. The range of music, drink and food tastes is, shall we say, diverse.

And the enmities between friends and acquaintances that one is both aware and unware of are a minefield.

I have decided that in the interests of having a good time I'm going to throw caution to the wind and not try to ensure there are no meetings of people who might have "history" with each other. It's just too complicated - and, frankly, they're all grown ups. In a manner of speaking.

Speaking of warming houses, Jo has been talking about this. I too am having complete chaos with the boiler in our new house. Although this is more self imposed. The thing clearly works - and it does respond to pressing buttons and twirling the knobs on it by changing how hot the place is. But the fact is I have absolutely no idea what button does what.

I have currently managed to eat and sleep in an un-heated house on at least 50% of the evenings I've been there, and in return the boiler has heated the place on at least full day's work when there was nobody there. I cannot wait until my more practically minded scientist flatmate turns up with some idea of what button might do what.

There is a timer things that looks very complicated. I know that when one bit reaches another bit the heating will turn itself on if it's off or off if it's on. But the problem is I have no idea which.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your heating beats my heating. Mine has ONE button. It turns it ON. Only during economy electricity, and not in advance, you have to wait until 00:30 to press the button. If you fall asleep, you wake up cold. Very cold, as there are currently no curtains.

    My housewarming will be the week before Christmas.

     
  • At 3:34 pm, Blogger Pickles said…

    My house is apparently boiling at the moment. It is currently empty.

    Last night it was cold. Tonight it will be cold.

    It is ridiculous.

     
  • At 11:14 am, Blogger Pete Morton said…

    I'm still trying to identify why my house is so cold (aside from the obvious point that it's basically a squat waiting to happen).

    Think I might need to bleed the radiators and then possibly take the boiler apart so its timer times.

    Anyone got tips?

    That said, am more worried about the fact the entire office building i work in is freezing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits