A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The myth of Sisyphus...

You know the one about the guy who had to roll a rock up a hill...and then it kept rolling back again.

My greek mythology is a bit shaky - and Camus' always been a bit of a [Left] "Banker" for my liking, so I can't tell you what awful sin he's supposed to have committed.

I mention the poor fella because I've finally figured out what it must have felt like.

Every day I go into the library. And every day I read. And the more I read the more I realise I don't know. The more I realise I don't know the more I need to read. And the more I realise I need to read the more I read. And the more I read the more I realise...

Reading is taking over my life. What's worse is that If I had just a couple more months I know I'd do ok. But I don't. I suppose given this stupid degree has in fact taken me almost 6 years I'm really not in any position to moan. (6 years mostly spent in the pub, on the doorsteps of various marginal constituencies, or in an office fulfilling completely unrelated tasks - so I'm not a total loser...)

However I have had a couple of brief excursions away from library oblivion.

The first was to meet my Uncle Stan from Johannesburg who I've never actually met, and his wife Geraldine. We went for a walk in Hyde Park and then lunch at "Diana's" which is an insufferably kitsch cafe near Kensington Palace where Diana used to stop for brunch after going for a jog. (apparently. Whilst we were there, My Dad claimed further that her "usual" had been a lettuce leaf and glass of hot water. I haven't inherited his distasteful sense of humour.)

They were both really lovely. My Dad claims that Geraldine has fairly right-wing politics, for a (white) South African. Which is pretty right-wing I'd guess. But unless you count her 'firm but fair' instructions to the waiter over the lunch ("DON'T over-cook the EGGS!!!") I didn't notice anything untoward.

But this got me thinking. My Dad's uncle and aunty were imprisoned under Apartheid. My Dad left the country rather than practice law there and took up acting and writing - much of his early work dealing with the Apartheid question. My Granny Rose is pretty gung-ho for democracy and the like. Although being an 86 year old Jo'burger she'd probably be a prime case for "equal opportunities training". Basically, Uncle Stan's politics aren't exactly Aunty Geraldine's.

My Dad tells me that his brother has "reached an accomodation" with his wife's politics. I.e. he zones out and stares into the middle distance whenever she talks about it. (I noticed he did this a lot - even when she wasn't talking politics) .

So the question I asked myself was whether I could ever deal with a relationship with someone whose politics were so different from mine. Stan and Geraldine have been married nearly 40 years. I can't imagine being married that long - but I can imagine even less being married to someone with whom I disagreed on everything I felt strongly about.

I just don't think I could. But then the next question is - does that make me an intolerant person? I don't know. I don't suppose I care very much.

On a (slightly) related note - I'm "meeting the parents" this weekend. A quick trip to Leeds and a couple of days out of the Library. Wahey. Although I'm a bit scared. My plan to write a poem to her parents as a means of breaking the ice has been vetoed. So I'm not sure - maybe a song or something?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    >>>My plan to write a poem to her parents as a means of breaking the ice has been vetoed. So I'm not sure - maybe a song or something?

    I'd make sure you've mastered the basics before you try anything fancy. Try and remember to brush your teeth and have a shower. And don't pick your belly-button while you're there. Should stand you in good shape.

     
  • At 10:08 am, Blogger Lola said…

    You seem to be obsessed with the concept of poetry as an ice-breaking mechanism.

    Loon.

     
  • At 5:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey dudey! You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend! Why didn't you tell me? I'm your ickle sis for goodness sake. Plus you are never on msn. You are going to be dead when I next see you! Don't worry, It will be a very slow death. Maybe I'll be nice and only give you the Avada Kadavre Curse. :) From Val-Demort

     
  • At 10:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So Pickles, how did "meeting the parents" go? Did they enjoy the Norse saga?

     
  • At 1:40 am, Blogger Pickles said…

    Ladies and gentlemen...my sister.

    Neenz, you're ten. And you're a girl. If you want to make me scared you're going to have to do better than some Harry Potter curse.

    Anyway - we're going to come to London and take you to the zoo. Whether you like it or not.

    So you're bound to forget that you're supposed to be angry.

    It's been ages since I've been to the zoo and I need to show you the difference between an ape and a monkey. There's a picture of a chimp on your msn profile - but you're clearly a monkey.

    And then if you're really lucky I might take you to see Everton. How's about that for fun! ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits