A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Summertime, an' the livin' is easy...

Right, so I promised a post about what I have been up to other than filling in job applications. Here it is.

1. Emily and I have been spending time with each other. This is wonderful. I have been exploring Leeds. Actually, I've been exploring a pub in Leeds which I have now visited twice. And Pictionary which we have played with her friend and various siblings and boyfriends of siblings and so on. Twice. Emily tends to win, and as a loyal boyfriend I couldn't possibly accuse her of cheating ever. There was a particular surreptitious mime of a penguin when no-one was looking which I can categorically say that, as a loyal boyfriend, was not at all cheating.

2. I love Emily very much, even when she is miming penguins and miraculously winning at pictionary. To mark the fact that we have known each other for 6 months (the start of our "relationship" is a controversial matter so we have settled on the day we were introduced to each other as the best date to mark) I cooked dinner and purchased March of the Penguins, which we watched. There were many penguins. Emily was very happy and has apparently watched it again with every member of her family one by one.

3. Emily bought me a monkey. She really did. Made of chocolate. It goes with Chomsky, the monkey she bought me during my exams. The reason I called it Chomsky is to do with what I was reading about during the exams. When I manage to learn how to use my new digital camera I will post a picture of Chomsky and a full explanation.

4. I used to sit in the sun and watch the World Cup. Both have disappeared. Now I mooch around the house waiting for the sun to come back, occasionally watching the cricket.

5. My good friend Ellie Reeves and the wonderful Peter Wheeler were succesfully elected to the NEC which is a GOOD THING. For Ellie to get elected at the first attempt in her mid-twenties is a really really fantastic achievement and I'm really pleased for her - she'll do a fab job.

6. I have occasionally caught up with friends. But not as much as I'd like as many of them are not in Liverpool and I'm conserving energy and money for the transparently long time it is going to take for anyone to employ me by not going to London or Oxford or Abroad much.

7. I am going to London this weekend however to see my dad in a play "The Representative" which he is performing at the Finborough Theatre in Earls Court. I was watching a film called "Amen" on Sunday night with my mum who bought it ages ago on DVD but hadn't got round to watching it. The plot seemed eerily familiar to that outlined by my dad for the play he's in. It transpires it was the film of the play. So great. I get to go and watch a 3 and half hour translated German play set during the Holocaust. And I already know the ending.

That's about it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits