A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Packing heat

Hmmm...few days in Livepool (photos to follow) at home with folks.

Friend is moving up to Liverpool so he stayed for a couple of days to have a look round for a flat. Emily came to stay too. We went to the Albert Dock to have a look round, and to the Tate Gallery (yes, we have art in the north). It was generally difficult dealing with how hot it was. Dan (Friend) was bitterly considering his luck in picking the hottest day of the year to go house hunting on foot. He was quite pink.

Lovely time had by all. Except that we lost the Willow Bank quiz on a tie-break after being, in my view controversially, denied a half point for having guessed 3 African countries on the shores of Lake Victoria, getting one right when 2 were needed. (half the answers right, half the points, surely?) A moral victory was achieved when John the quizzy announced our team as the winner and I pointed out his mistake - honesty is always the best policy. Having split the pot between the team we would have each gained a few quid; but the self righteous feeling of having done a good deed was worth so much more.

Returned to Oxford with a view to packing my room up for the big move tomorrow. However the temperature in my room is in excess of 156 degrees Farenheit which is at least a million Celsius and basically having panted and puffed for a bit I collapsed in a sweaty mess and slept soundly til about ten minutes ago.

Now it's still unutterably hot (windows wide open but it just means I'm getting different hot air) and I've got to pack in a rush. Saint Anneliese of The Wilder Bits of Scotland is supremely kindly driving me and my stuff to London tomorrow night so I can dump it in a corner of my Dad's flat whilst I contemplate my next move...

Not even really had time to mull over the end of my brief sojourn in Oxford. It's been 6 productive months; I'm currently up 1 x Girlfriend whom I love very much, 1 x Very satisfactory degree, 1 x Passable tan, 100 x stories and memories of good friends who have been on hand to give me moral support at what was a bit of a stressful time.

I took a bit of a wild stab in the dark turning down career opportunities to come a prove a point to myself that I wasn't actually as thick as all that. As a gamble it's really paid off and I'm bloody delighted I did it.

The fact that I am currently jobless and homeless should be cause for concern but I'm not really giving that much thought as it's too sodding sunny to care.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:14 am, Blogger Lola said…

    "but the self righteous feeling of having done a good deed was worth so much more"

    I feel nauseous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits