A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Friday, July 07, 2006

As thoughts turn to the future...

I have spent most of the past month (and it is a month !?!) celebrating the fact that after six years I have completed my finals.

On Monday or Tuesday (Oxford's exam system is as arcane and disorganised as it is farcical) I will find out if "completed" means "passed".

I wait with baited breath. If I'm being honest with myself I'm not expecting great things. 5 1/2 years of prevarication (including: Three jobs, two general elections, four byelections, 7different homes - including two hotels- and lots lots more) followed by 5 1/2 months of feeling my way blind throught the vast recesses of political and philosophical academic literature is not ( I repeat, not) the best way to approach a degree course.

My thoughts are also turning to the future;

I currently have no job.
no home.
A little money.
No degree or post-school qualifications in anything (not even a driving license - although I'm working on that)
No work experience outside the narrow confines of the Labour Party & Labour Students. (except for a year's teaching English to school kids. In France. Not very well.)

Some might find this scary. Indeed last time I was in this position it was very scary indeed. But now I think I'm finding it quite liberating. Contact me in three months time and I really don't know what I'll be doing.

There's ideas floating around - and some jobs I could probably go for. But...well...if it weren't for the fact that the world cup is over in four days, and I'll eventually need to eat and pay rent, and the weather is likely to get pretty rubbish in around September (if not before...) then I'd quite like to carry on as things are...

Suggestions welcome.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    not even a driving license - although I'm working on that

    Based on your comments on this subject in the pub the other night, all I can say is please wait until you're in a different city to me before you put this plan into action...!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits