A Far Fetched Resolution

I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round the city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I’ll tell you.. You can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rumours abound...

Nothing is confirmed and until I have piece of paper in my hand there is nothing to say that it isn't an error...

But if the rumours are to be believed...it would seem...

...That I have my first ever job interview coming up soon!

I have nothing official but I believe I may be on the shortlist for a job. This is exciting. I have never had a full-on proper job interview before, though I went through university interviews twice and have had more or less formal interiviews for some short term jobs. I have nothing to add on this at this stage but I will keep you updated.

There are two other applications pending of which I have currently heard nothing, for only one of which is this cause for concern.

The question I would like to pose dear readers, should anyone wish to furnish me with advice...is what happens if you are given a job following an interview? Are you duty bound to accept it there and then? Do you have a period to think about it (i.e. if you've potentially got another job you've applied for?) or what? I don't really know the procedure and don't want to accidently get a job without thinking about it properly first. Do I need to be doing my serious thinking now?

I have never been in such a position before and am feeling my way in the dark a little bit.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's nothing wrong with asking them to wait a few days for your decision but make sure it's days, not weeks!

    Good luck with the interview. A certain someone who has recently moved to Liverpool is an excellent person to help with the prep, though does tend to ask harder questions than any interviewer...

     
  • At 12:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, marvellous. Another person who has never done a proper days work in their life and still feels they can tell the rest of us what live was like in the Labour movement when they were in nappies. Isn't the internet a wonderful place.

     
  • At 7:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, as someone who's lost a job by saying they wanted to think about it (but that was with Enron) my advice is to stall by asking for the offer in writing.

     
  • At 12:53 pm, Blogger Pickles said…

    I think I've made my mind up anyway and am going to go for it hell for leather and hope I get it - I've spoken to people who've done similar jobs and it does sound exciting, and anyway, although I've had friends who've regreted going for the first job that came along I really think this one's well worth taking on.

     
  • At 1:14 pm, Blogger Pickles said…

    Also,

    Anonymous, Speaking as someone who has just done a degree in 5 months, has been known to sleep on the floor of his office in order to be in work before the trains start and has held at least two proper jobs before, I'd ask you to use your brain before you use your mouth in future. Thanks.

     
  • At 10:48 am, Blogger Eric Sundström said…

    Don't be flexible with the truth and polish your shoes. Heard of a guy who said his Spanish was "decent" and when he came to the interview the whole conversation was in... Spanish. He understood nada.

     
  • At 6:39 am, Blogger No Hassle Loans said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:03 pm, Blogger No Hassle Loans said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


hits